Tilcon believes in being a good neighbor to the communities in which we live and work. We have built relations with our local residents, schools, Fire and Police services, colleges and universities and other local businesses. Below are examples of some of our Community Relations activities.
Community Participation and Service
Building goodwill by developing collaborative efforts with local communities is a key element of our programs:
- Schools - we work closely with a number of schools in our community. In particular, the Catherine A. Dwyer Elementary Schools which is located close to our Mount Hope Quarry - Students from the school take part in organized, educational tours of the Mt. Hope facility. Each year we run an Earth Day event at the school with live animal displays and crafts. We also recently donated a 3 ton memorial stone to Strawtown Elementary School, West Nyack, NY for the dedication of their new playground. Tilcon was one of the first local businesses to assist with the funding of their playground several years ago. In addition last year we donated a smart board to West Nyack Elementary School, West Nyack, NY and took part in the Riverdale Elementary School Christmas Parade, Riverdale, NJ.
- Emergency First Responders – we work closely with local fire departments and emergency first responders to provide training sessions at Tilcon sites.
- Environmental Organizations - for the last three years we have partnered with Keep Rockland Beautiful, a non-profit organization aimed at creating a cleaner, more beautiful Rockland County. This year Tilcon volunteers cleaned up a stretch of Casper Hill Road in Valley Cottage, NY removing trash and debris. In 2013 Tilcon employees cleaned up Tomkins Cove dock removing old tires and debris that washed ashore from the Hudson River. In 2012, we got together with KRB staff to clean up a section of Haverstraw Bay, removing old tires and debris.
- We have also partnered, since 2004, with the Wildlife Habitat Council. Our Mt Hope Wildlife Habitat Site, certified in 2010, is the first of our sites to be created. More information can be found on the environmental stewardship page of our site.
- Quarry Tours - we offer quarry tours to local school groups, college students, West Point Military Academy cadets and boy scout troops. Tilcon employees explain our local geology and demonstrate how we mine, crush, grade and distribute our crushed stone aggregates to local customers.
- Around the holidays, we organize a number of activities to bring festive cheer to our community. For the last several years, we provided collected and donated clothing, toys and gifts to the Central Jersey Navy League Christmas Angel Program providing to Coast Guard families and food donations to the Morris County Interfaith Food Pantry, distributing food to families in need and Hi Tor Animal Shelter providing toys, treats and food items for an animal shelter.
- We donate materials to various Eagle Scout troops for projects that they are involved in building such as walkways, playgrounds and memorials.
- We also supply traffic cones, barrels and sand bags to Rockaway Police Department for their annual motorcycle Garlic Run.
- Residents – We believe that open and honest communication with residents is important. Tilcon meets with residents to address issues and concerns.
- Community Leaders – Tilcon builds relationships with community leaders and looks for ways in which we can use our resources to benefit the community.
- Local and State Government – Getting to know the local governing body is a good way to learn what is important to a particular community and makes it easier to work through issues as they may arise.