Safe Winter Driving Tips
With both temperatures and snow falling, it's time to start thinking about keeping safe on the roads this winter. The New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) offers tips for safe winter driving, including:
• Never follow a snowplow too closely or attempt to pass one. Remember that the highway ahead of the plow is usually snow-covered;
• ...Adjust speed for road conditions and maintain a safe distance from other vehicles;
• Schedule extra time for winter travel and be patient during ice and snow removal operations;
• Assume that bridge surfaces are slippery, as they freeze more quickly than road surfaces;
• Watch for black ice, which can be difficult to see but makes conditions slippery when pavement temperatures are below freezing;
• Have a cell phone handy, if possible, but do not text while driving; distracted driving becomes even more dangerous during storm events;
• Never venture from your vehicle if snowbound;
• Equip your car with emergency supplies including sand, shovel, flares, booster cables, rope, ice scraper, portable radio, flashlight, blankets and extra warm clothes;
• Inform a responsible person of your destination, intended route, and estimated time of arrival; and
• Keep calm and do not panic in case of a vehicle breakdown, accident, or if you become snowbound.
Please stay safe on the roads this winter.